6833 Whitneyville Ave SE, Alto MI 49302 * (616) 868-6676 * CountryHarvestGreenhouse.com

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Amish Potato Salad



Not the least of the reasons why I love the Amish is their amazing ability to cook delicious food. It's not quite potato season, but I couldn't resist sharing this simply divine recipe.


6 c. cooked potatoes (I've used russet and yukon gold)
6 hard boiled eggs
1/4 to 1/2 c. onion, finely chopped
1 c. celery, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. mayo
3 t. mustard
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. vinegar

Boil potatoes and cube. Set aside 1/4 of the potatoes, mash the remaining 3/4 of the potatoes. Gently mash eggs as well, careful to mash too small. Put all the potatoes, the eggs, celery and onion in a large bowl. Combine mayo, mustard, sugar and vinegar. Mix well. Pour over the potato mixture. Stir well. If you like, slice one or two eggs to place decoratively on top, sprinkle with paprika. Chill. Will keep 4-5 days.

PS: I halved this recipe from the original in my Amish cookbook. Seriously, I think it was for a potluck or a family much larger than mine.